Public housing

Making payments

Department of Housing rents are charged and due on the Monday of each week. At the start of your lease you must pay from the date your lease starts to the next Monday plus one week.

If you receive a Centrelink payment it is a term of your lease agreement that rent is paid through the Rent and other Deductions Scheme (RDS). This is a free service that automatically transfers rent payments to Department of Housing from your Centrelink payment each fortnight.

Tenants who are not Centrelink customers must pay their rent through direct debit from a financial institution. Using this method you can pay rent weekly, fortnightly or monthly, as long as the account is kept in credit by at least one week's rent.

If you are having trouble making your rent payment, please notify your local Department of Housing office as soon as possible to discuss other payment options and debt management.

Excess water and other payments can be made:

  • by Direct Debit from a Bank or Credit Union account
  • by salary deduction with a participating employer
  • by mailing a cheque or money order to any Department of Housing office
  • in person at any Australia Post Office
  • by credit card payment over the phone to Department of Housing.

Please note that you will need to quote your rent account number as your reference number when making payment.