The Public Housing Garden Competition is open to all urban public housing tenants. The competition recognises the hard work tenants have put in to looking after their gardens and rewards category winners with great prizes.
Categories and criteria
Prizes will be awarded to winners and runners up in the following categories:
- Best House Garden
- Best Unit Garden (a duplex is classified as a unit)
- Best New/Redeveloped Garden (developed in the last 12 months)
- Most Productive Garden
- Best Community Garden
Entrants may enter a maximum of two categories.
Gardens will be judged on:
- Presentation and general appearance – Is the garden well presented and maintained in terms of soil quality, health of plants, cleanliness, weed management, lawns and edges, mulch, rubbish? Is there overall attention to detail?
- Layout and design – Is the garden well planned in terms of structure, design, paths, man-made and natural features? Does it have ambience and atmosphere? Is it well-balanced/aesthetically pleasing?
- Plantings – Does the garden include use of colour, form and composition, variety and repetition, year-round interest and scent? Does it contribute to the visual environment and streetscape?
- Natural environment – Does the garden encourage wildlife (providing a habitat or food source for local native fauna), use native and local plant species (design, size, variety, repetition), and exclude environmental weeds?
- Maintenance – Can the garden be maintained with a minimal environmental footprint including water and pesticides?
- Layout and design – Is the garden well planned to suit local environmental conditions? Does it use sustainable or locally sourced materials?
- Creativity, innovation and passion – Is the garden creative, innovative or original? Does the garden reflect the Territory’s unique lifestyle? Does it show the effort, enthusiasm and knowledge of the gardener?
- Collaboration (Best Community Garden ONLY) – How well do the tenants work together; plan, designate responsibility, manage the upkeep, and share the rewards?
There are great prizes to be won!
A winner and runner up will be selected for each category in the following divisions:
Top End: Darwin region, Katherine, Nhulunbuy
Central: Alice Springs, Tennant Creek
Competition now closed
Thank you for your entries. Judging has commenced and participants will be notified shortly.